Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Well, looky here...

Spring has sprung and the grass is riz...and I have photos once again!! Hurrah! I've been exploring Kilally Meadows as often as I can and my rambles should increase now that daytime volleyball has ended. I still have Friday nights at volleyball til the end of June.

Then I signed up for "Huff n' Puff" slo-pitch which was to start today. But the fields were closed to use today as it has been raining BUCKETS for several days. Yesterday I suffered with a migraine due to the intense low stalled over the city. There is still a bit of residual throbbing in my head today.
Pellride  - you asked about the uses of skunk cabbage so I did a little search and found this:

Skunk cabbage was used extensively as a medicinal plant, seasoning, and magical talisman by various tribes of Native Americans. While not considered edible raw, because the roots are toxic and the leaves can burn the mouth, the leaves may be dried and used in soups and stews.


Close to the skunk cabbage which likes a wet, marshy environment are the under-rated marsh marigolds. I think they are gorgeous and are one of the first spring flowers to pop open.
 Violets are everywhere, forming a lush carpet under trees and along the paths. I imagine I'll have to wait for a couple of dry days before I can venture into Kilally Meadows again. It's been flooded a lot this year due to so much rain. A friend told me a few days ago that he was about to plant his corn; however I'm sure he has delayed planting once again in the muddy fields.
Gorgeous blue scilla are everywhere - they are a feast for the eyes!

 While walking one day, close to the river, I heard a sound like a chainsaw starting up. I thought someone was clearing up dead branches. Then I saw a large shadow and looked up to see a heron fly right over my head bleating loudly. I think that may have been the first time I've heard that sound!

 I'm hoping to see the may apple flower this year - hope I don't miss it. They must not last long because last year I only caught sight of the little apples, no flowers.

Bloodroot is everywhere but beware! Bloodroot extracts have been listed as one of "187 Fake Cancer Cures people should avoid!"

 This is an area carpeted with violets. Just beautiful!

I will keep trying to capture Mr. Osprey. He was sitting on that metal thingy and I crept up trying to get his picture. Of course he saw me and took off (I thought I was well hidden behind some branches). So this is my effort at capturing the osprey in flight with a branch between me and him. It looks like he's coming right for me - good luck lifting me off the ground!!
Sorry I haven't been around much. I had some computer issues to sort out (my own) and still trying to sort out my mother's files, plus play a LOT of volleyball, get out hiking and so on and so on! At least my blog is back in action :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment - it means a lot to me that you read my post and are leaving a comment - you just made my day!